Saturday, August 11, 2012

First post!

Guten Tag! Alright. So the time has finally come for me to start this blog. It still hasn't hit me that I'm actually leaving!
In case you don't know why I've made this blog, here's a little background info:
I was selected to be a part of the Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange program (you can find out more about that scholarship here). Basically, I'll be spending the next 10 months in Germany, learning the language and becoming a part of my German community. I'll be living with a host family and going to a high school (called a Gymnasium).
I leave today from Washington, DC, and I'll arrive in Frankfurt tomorrow (there's wacky time zone difference stuff involved). Packing was no easy task; I had to pack and re-pack and rearrange all of my clothes, shoes, and other items that I'm bringing (including a massive jar of peanut butter) at least 5 times. Eventually, though, I was able to fit everything that needed to be fitted AND stay under the weight limit! I gave myself a pat on the back.
I'm extremely excited to leave the U.S. for the first time, only a little nervous. I've got my Euros all ready in my wallet and my scarves are packed; what more do I need?
I don't know German yet-and this could be a bit of a problem. I'm not entirely without hope, however, because the first month I and all the other scholarship recipients are in Germany, we get to go to a language camp. Also, I have my trusty book, The Complete Idiot's Guide To Learning German, which I'm sure I will be relying on heavily.
There is one negative aspect of language camp, though; I won't have much Internet access. I may be able to post once or twice over the next month, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high if I were you. :)
So, this is me signing on to my blog, and, just as quickly, signing off for a month.
Auf Wiedersehen!
-Scout
P.S. my next posts will hopefully have pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment